From The President
James E. Collins (’84)
Welcome to Loras College!
For over 180 years, bright and deserving students have come to study at Loras College. It is an unbroken line of faculty, staff, students and graduates who have made this college a rich, strong learning community. As Iowa’s first college and the second oldest Catholic college west of the Mississippi, the principles that served as the cornerstone of this institution in 1839 are still vibrant today.
Underscoring the value of the Loras College experience, consider:
- Loras College is ranked 11th Best Value and 16th Best Regional College in the Midwest by U.S. News and World Report in the 2020 edition of "Best Colleges" by U.S. News Media Group.
- 100 percent of the class of 2019 report being employed or continuing their education within six months of graduation. This statistic is based on a 99 percent response rate from the class.
- The College is ranked third among Iowa's private not-for-profit colleges by MONEY Magazine's 2019 Best Colleges For You Money list.
As a diocesan, Catholic liberal arts college, we see our efforts to create a diverse and engaged campus as a basis for the strong ties that we hold to the people, communities and the institutions we serve. Whether it is:
- Loras College winning the 1st President’s Interfaith Community Service Award in the nation, or
- Receiving the Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Award for the success of the efforts of the League of United Latin American Citizens, Black Student Union and general work of the Loras Center for Inclusion & Advocacy from NASPA Region IV-E (NASPA is the leading association for the advancement, health and sustainability of the student affairs profession), or
- Study abroad programs in Argentina, Ireland, Portugal or Spain, or
- That Loras College was the first college in Iowa, the first Catholic College in the Midwest and the fourth Catholic College in the nation to sign a Fair Trade resolution.
Loras College offers a breadth and depth of experience that will advance your learning, preparing you to adapt to and serve in a complex and ever-changing world.
Offering unique resources and facilities ensuring a high-quality learning environment:
- The Miller Academic Resource Center, with its four floors of comfortable study spaces and learning resources,
- A state-of-the-art Athletic & Wellness Center, with a two-story fitness facility,
- Our completely wireless campus, allowing study or relaxing on your Loras-provided laptop from anywhere on campus,
- The Medical Associates DNA laboratory – one of the few in the region housed by an educational institution, or
- The Carver Foundation Media Studies lab where you can work with outstanding faculty to produce an award-winning project.
- The CARES Lab where you can assist in researching cancer treatments.
We offer unique programs and outreach to distinguish the College we hope becomes your alma mater. From the Breitbach Catholic Thinkers and Leaders program to the nationally-successful academic and athletic teams to community service, Phi Beta Lambda or the Francis J. Noonan School of Business, you can truly succeed at Loras College.
I look forward to seeing you on campus.